Frequently asked questions about Teaching English as a Second Language 

What is the difference between TESOL, TEFL, ELT AND CELTA?​

TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and ELT (English Language Teaching) both refer to field of teaching English as a foreign language. 

The Trinity CertTESOL and CELTA both refer to the qualifications that can be gained if you would like to teach English in the UK or abroad. Trintiy CertTESOL refers to the Trinity Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and CELTA refers to the Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults.​

Are there any differences between the Trinity CERT TESOL and the CELTA? 

Both certificates teach the same basic TEFL/TESOL skills and require the same number of hours teaching practice and teaching observation. Both lead to the same level of professional qualification, which is Level 5 of the National Qualification Framework, and both have equal status in the TEFL job market. 

However, with the Trinity CertTESOL, there are some differences compared with the CELTA: 

  • You must study a foreign language from the beginning for a number of hours to appreciate what it's like being an adult beginner again.
  • You have to do some one-to-one teaching, which is a valuable skill when you are a TEFL teacher abroad.
  • You have to create a materials project, so you practice finding and making your own materials, which is an essential ELT skill. 
  • All your teaching practices are observed by our experienced instructors. 
  • If you do not pass some of the modules first time, Trinity CertTESOL is flexible so you can retake parts of the course by an agreed deadline.

In addition, WE Bridge Academy has experienced Trinity CertTESOL instructors who all specialise in a particular field of ELT. That means that if you join the Trinity CertTESOL course at WE Bridge Academy, you will also benefit from the expertise of our instructors. 

  • You will learn how to use phonology as an active part of your teaching.
  • You will know more about how to use technology, such as Interactive Whiteboards. 
  • You will find out more about how to use learning aids such as dictionaries. You will observe our special innovative methods and TEFL materials in action.
  • You will learn about teaching business English, teaching teenagers and young learners, and about testing and international exams for EFL students.

What is the difference between the Trinity CERT TESOL and a cheaper weekend or distance learning course?

Weekend or 'taster' courses may be helpful in giving you an idea of what to expect when teaching English as a foreign language. However, you would not receive the full range of training in teaching methodology, language analysis, and teaching practice that you would receive on a longer course. You would, therefore, not be eligible for the same range of jobs that a longer course and its associated qualification, such as Trinity CertTESOL or CELTA, would give you. 

Similarly, online courses can be very helpful and you may enjoy working in the privacy of your home or workplace. However, again, you would not experience the full range of training, or the teaching practice, that you would receive on a face-to-face course. 

Trinity CertTESOL and CELTA are the only two ELT qualifications that offer a high standard of training and are recognised and accepted by the majority of English language schools around the world. 

I've never studied English grammar before. I am worried I won't understand how to teach it. Is that a problem?​

Don't worry. Many participants say this, including native English speakers. On the course we will help you to understand how English grammar works, what the key terms mean, and how to teach it effectively. 

What nationality of students would I teach at WE Bridge Academy?

Students from all over the world attend classes at WE Bridge Academy. This is a particular benefit to you as you will experience the learning problems of students who speak different languages. 

I don't live in Cardiff. Can you help me with accommodation? 

We can easily arrange half-board accommodation for £130 a week or self-catering for £110-120. Please contact us for further details: 

Will I be able to continue with my part-time job during the course? 

The course is an intensive four weeks with a minimum of 120 hours of training. You should also bear in mind that a further minimum of 80 hours is needed in the evenings and at weekends for the required reading, research, written assignments and lesson preparation. You are strongly advised NOT to undertake any other commitments during the four-weeks. 

Password recovery

incorrect e-mail
this email is already loginistered
this field is required


incorrect e-mail
this email is already registered
this field is required
this field is required
password mismatch
at least 6 characters
this field is required
password mismatch
at least 6 characters
password mismatch
this field is required
this field is required
this field is required
Ask a Question
this field is required
this field is required
this field is required
Your message has been sent
Check your email and activate your profile.
Check your email and change your password.
You have been subscribed
Your mailbox has been signed
Check your email to reset your password
Check your email to activate your profile
To enroll in the course login or register